The history of Sokhumi University begins on February 5, 1932 when by the regulation of Georgian government Sokhumi Pedagogical Institute was founded. At first, there were only two faculties in the University, which mainly trained schoolteachers. Later other faculties were added and for the beginning of 1960-ies, Pedagogical Institute became a leading educational and scientific center where teaching process was presented in Georgian, Abkhazian and Russian languages. In 1979, Sokhumi Pedagogical Institute reestablished as Abkhazian (Sokhumi) University.
After the political events of 1989 Georgian sector of University with the majority of professors and students seceded and on May 14, 1989 on its base was established Sokhumi Branch of Tbilisi State University, which since December of 1993 continued functioning in Tbilisi. On July 31, 2007 Sokhumi branch of Tbilisi State University by the regulation of Georgian government reestablished as Legal Entity of Public Law - Sokhumi University. The newly established Sokhumi University obtained License for educational activity (04.01.2008) and Governmental Accreditation (08.01.2008) for the period of 5 years.
On December 10, 2008 by the Provision #239 the Georgian Government adopted an amendment to the provision #160 (2007) after which the Legal Entity of Public Law Sokhumi University has been renamed as the Legal Entity of Public Law Sokhumi State University.
Presently there are seven faculties in Sokhumi University:
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Economics and Business
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Social Sciences and Political Sciences
- Faculty of Math. & Comp. Sciences
- Faculty of Natural Sc. & Health Care